Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shrapnel on the Heart

My intended journal entry changed at the last minute......I will eventually add it to this blog but something wasn't right about me posting the particular entry I was planning on doing.

As I was reading a book the other day a word in it caught my attention. The word is "Shrapnel". Most people associate that word with the military and bombs.

The actual definition is "Fragments from an exloded artillery shell, mine or bomb.

So you ask "How does this relate to anything about Jess?" Well I'm glad you asked.

On June 26, 2010 a mine went off in our family. It scattered shrapnel on our lives but only so far.....

On Novemeber 25, 2010 a bomb followed and this time the shrapnel went everywhere.
The bigger the bomb the bigger the damage. The bigger the bomb the more shrapnel.

I will warn you if you dont wanna be sad at the moment then dont read this. I have just had a kinda sad day and this is what I feel like writing. No day really is every filled with great joy. I think of Jessi probly every minute of every day. Its just part of this whole process. People always say that the grieving will get better as time goes on. Maybe......I tend to think that it wont really get easier, it is a matter of coping with the grief that is what will get easier because the grief will always be there. Some days alot and some days a little. You can't take part of who you are and never totally miss it. Jessi is part of who I was and so therefore part of me will always be missing. Forever.

So like artillery shrapnel that explodes that is what happened November 25.....Jessi's death left shrapnel everywhere. Many of us did not expect this outcome. I know I am one of them. Alot of us are left wondering how could this be? I wish I knew, I ask myself that everyday. I did learn something though from shrapnel. As much as it hurts it also it leaves scars to never forget what happened. Jessi left shrapnel that really really hurts. At times so much its almost unbearable. Like for instance when I go to the store there are pieces of it everywhere. Things the average person would never consider. We went to Best Buy today and even that store is hard to go into anymore. Jessi always wanted a mini frig in her bedroom. Way before cancer and hospital stays. But when she wound up in the hospital she wanted a mini frig in her hospital room. We never did get her one. So today we saw them at Best Buy......And of course IPod accessories.....Rock Band.....and the list goes on. I was at Panera Bread and Jess loved smoothies, well I have a reward card and the cashier informs me I have a free smoothie on my card wood I like one....Smoothies don't sound so good to me anymore...Racetrack Gas stations for icee's which where her favorites....It's hard to drink those too...
Thats the painful shrapnel that is hard to deal with. It is literaly scattered everywhere and appears when I least expect it and usually with no time to prepare for it as I never see it coming. The kind that brings you to tears right in the middle of the store.

But then there is the shrapnel that gets left on my heart. Kinda like Jess's best friend Hannah, someone I love dearly and think the world of. The same Hannah who spent most of her summer at the hospital with Jessi when she didnt have a game. And tried to come and spend every weekend she could when school started..........Jessi's wantand desire
to spread the Love at Christmas to give to others......the messages I get from her school frends about how much she changed in their lives......the youth room dedicated to her.......youth fundraisers at church in her memory........prayers for me and her dad.......stories about Jess that I didnt know about her......There is so much.....All these good things are what's putting my heart back together piece by tiny piece. There will always be one piece missing. Kinda the same result when a bomb explodes, there is no way you would ever find every piece and put it back together. You just have to do the best you can with what u have to work with. And hope it works..........

And old Nursery Rhyme that everyone knows is:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the Kings Horses and all the Kings Men
Could not put Humpty together again

Yea so sometimes I feel like Humpty Dumpty, sometimes I don't. Tomorrow is a new day. None of us know what the future holds. None of us.

I just hope and pray tomorrow is a day for Shrapnel on the Heart........

But the Lord said onto Samuel, "Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the Heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment